Sunday, August 19, 2012

Up Country - Ruth Andre


I was raised on a ranch in southern California and then moved as an adult to Los Angeles. It was a huge move and one I never felt comfortable with for many reasons. Though I think everyone thought I was just fine in the Los Angeles scene as they say, I always felt like an outsider, not wanting to fit into the swirl of humanity and the concrete and steel that surrounds one as you travel the city. I am much more at home in a rural setting. As I look out my front door there is nothing there but a small road that buffers the mountain side. The pines and oaks abound giving ample room for wildlife. This morning as I walked to the studio there were six wild turkeys in the yard and each night the deer find their way to the horse pasture to graze. It all seems so serene and it is. Just a few miles away are towns called Pioneer and Pine Grove and they are thick with evergreen trees and mountains that shimmer with greys and greens of rocks and foliage. On the valley floor the fauna changes from gold to rust as the season changes from summer to fall. Living near Up Country has made for, "A Painting Day".

"Up Country" 6x6 inches, oil on canvas by Ruth Andre






1 comment:

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I like this piece very much Ruth, and especially the thoughts behind it. I grew up in a big city and always hated the traffic, noise and lack of open space. I too enjoy quiet days on the farm and whatever the Lord sends my way , whether it is wild turkeys, ripe plums freshly picked from the tree, or a lovely sunset.