Friday, October 8, 2010

Rodeo Queens





This was quite a painting day.  The paint that comes off my brushes is usually very quiet, subdued and peaceful but today that all changed.  The wild red just seemed right so I went with it.  I have been wanting to paint these two cows for a long time.  I had good memories of where I saw them and I decided they needed painting.

While taking in a livestock auction in Manteca, California I was looking for Texas Longhorn cattle and I was walking down one of the shoots taking photos along the way of cows in the different pens.  Next thing I know a whole herd of cows were headed my way down the shoot I was in taking photos.  The cows were coming fast and the gate was down the way so over the metal fence I went, just in time to catch these two ladies leading the herd.  Auction day in Manteca made for, "A Painting Day".





"Rodeo Queens"-6x6-inches, oil/canvas by Ruth Andre
Available at the Clymers Art Museum - Holiday Miniature Art Exhibit
Dates:  11/5/2010 - 1/2/2011
Phone:  309/962-4616

www.ruthandre.com
andre@ruthandre.com
Commissions Welcome

10 comments:

Theresa Paden said...

I love the red background, Ruth! The red, orange, and yellow highlights in the hair are wonderful, too.

Karen Bruson said...

Love the red background. It outlines the cows so nicely, yet it doesn't compete. It must be just the right value and intensity.

Claudia Hammer a Painting a day said...

This one is something different and a break from your austere paintings. I like it! The red reinforces the images of the cows. Good job!

Carol DeMumbrum said...

I just found your blog. I love your work! Wonderful background color on this.

Unknown said...

The red just sets the entire painting. Wonderful.

Dana Cooper said...

Love the red in this Ruth...and wow, that is quite a story...yikes!

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

Ruth, every day I look forward to what you've prepared for us.

Becky Joy said...

I really like the red. Certainly gives it some punch.

Stephen Parker said...

Hi, Ruth. Yes, the red background was a wonderful decision. It does a great job of accentuating the milder reds present in the animals coats. The way you handled it has a wonderful impact on the piece.

hmuxo said...

Great job on this painting, Ruth.
Love the way you painted the fur and the color in the background brings out the color in the cows.