Friday, June 3, 2011

Lunch Date


I was raised in the country and then reluctantly moved to the city and ended up staying in the city for way too long before I found a way back to the country.  We all have to make choices in life and moving to the city was one I never thought I would make,   I was living on the outskirts of Los Angeles and during that time I became an art representative for illustrators and photographers.  I loved working with the artists and watching the creative process take place.  I was the go between for artist and client.  It was a big job and one that was never dull.  Lunch dates were common for an art representative.  It was a way to entertain your clients and hopefully future clients and I went on many a 'lunch date'.  The painting above was painted here in the foothills and it just reminded me of those client meetings long ago.  My OTT light is out over my easel in my studio.  One is ordered and I will be back in business soon.  During this time I really need to venture out and paint a few more trees.  Now if I can get the weather to cooperate.  We have had rain and we are expecting more to come our way.  Memories made for "A Painting Day".

"Lunch Date" 5x5 inches Framed oil on canvas






9 comments:

Marie Theron said...

Such a delicate color scheme, Ruth. I am working on 6x6 and find it so strange to do the little paintings. This is even smaller!

I loved my country childhood! Now in old age I have a farm-style house next to the ocean and lead a country sort of lifestyle.

Theresa Paden said...

I love your plein air paintings. I agree with Marie about the delicate color scheme and it is so beautiful. I really like the blue-greens, and the one thick dab of chartreuse in the upper left is particularly yummy! I'm looking forward to seeing more plein air work from you!

Linda Schweitzer said...

What lovely trees, Ruth! So loose and free. Reminds me of Paul Klee with the colors.

Cheri Wollenberg said...

Love this one, Ruth. Very expressive and free, not to mention the lovely colors!

Kim Vanlandingham said...

Lovely, harmonious colors! Sounds like it was a cool job too!

mary maxam said...

This is lovely and reminds me stained glass somehow.I like the transparent and overlapping color. Your job story is really interesting too!

Carol Schiff Daily Painting said...

Lovely colors, Ruth!

Libby Fife said...

Sounds like a fun job.

I was never a country girl but now that I am I don't think I would want to go back!

Good job for such a small painting. I bet that small size really forces the editing process!

Virginia Floyd said...

Love this stylistic painting. Lovely, loose brush strokes. Beautiful!