Friday, September 15, 2017

First Blush - Ruth Andre


"First Blush"
6"x10" Oil-Wax on Loose Canvas
Matted and Framed 10"x15"
by Ruth Andre

The cooler weather is giving my new work a lighter feel. I had planned this painting to be quite graphic and dark. It is good to let go and let the painting find its way. The medium is a mix of oil, wax and oil paint sticks. Does anyone else love paint-sticks like I do? 
The farrier was here this morning, I mean all morning. He is a good guy and is good with our mare, Hopi. I thought you might like to see the sweet girl and how the valley grasses have turned a deep golden color. 
It was, "A Painting Day".


Hopi 

I need to take another photo. Poor Hopi looks like she has a rather wide behind. She really is a gorgeous mare. Hopi came to us wild and only 7 months old. I spent a lot of time with her in her stall so she would learn to trust humans. She was also placed in the stall next to our head mare, Angel. Angel must have taught her the ropes because it was not long before Hopi was walking on the lead. I loved living in Missouri Farm Country. 






2 comments:

Chris Lally said...

Love the look of your new piece, Ruth. Have never tried paint sticks. It's funny how different things impact our work.
Hopi is a real beauty. Looking forward to seeing another photo of her.

Ruth Andre said...

Chris, It is fun to try new materials. I have found Paint Sticks give a whole new look to my paintings. I like using them but mostly I mix oil and wax and apply with a palette knife or squeegee.. Thanks for the comment.