Friday, April 29, 2011

"Grey"


Today's painting is of a wild grey filly and is painted in memory of Jean M. Auel and her Earth's Children series of books.  I just finished reading "The Land of the Painted Caves", the final book of the series, and was totally fascinated once again reading about the people and events that happened 30,000 years ago.  The first book of the series is "Clan of the Cave Bear" and it is a book I have kept in my memory as a great adventure.  In "The Land of the Painted Caves" there is a horse named Grey and I wanted to paint this little filly.  I am sure horses were stockier in build than my painting of Grey but it made for "A Special Painting Day" to think of Grey and her story while I painted her today.  Enjoy!

"Grey" 6x8-inches, oil on canvas by Ruth Andre



3 comments:

Theresa Paden said...

Wonderful, wild mane! Such beautiful, loose brush work and so many different values and hues in the mane and coat!

mary maxam said...

what a shaggy and lovely one. Your usual marvelous touch with the texture of the mane too.

Anonymous said...

I too love the wild mane. Good job.