Thursday, April 14, 2011

"Spring" & Moses Botkin Challenge





Each month the Moses Botkin Challenge group picks a subject or a technique for the group to paint.  This month Robin Cheers chose the Challenge.  She asked each artist to make a painting using only 15 brushstrokes.  I have to say I dragged my feet on this challenge but once I got started, what fun I had.  The little landscape above is very close to 15 strokes and I learned it is hard to count and paint at the same time.  I used a palette knife since it seemed to be what was needed to get the paint to go where I wanted it to go.  The paint was moving fast and made for, "A Painting Day".  The other paintings for the Moses Botkin Challenge are shown below.  Enjoy!

"Spring" © $70.00
6x4-inches
oil on board





www.ruthandre.com
andre@ruthandre.com
Sale Day Paintings







"7 Stroke Apple"
4"x 4.5" Oil on canvas
©2011 Diana Moses Botkin


  
Robin Cheers                                                                                      
"Gardening" © 12X6 inches
Contemporary Life Painter


http://robincheers.blogspot.com                                                                                                               











"7-stroke to Place"
13x9" oil on canvas
                               

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Counting and painting would be hard! You achieved beautiful results!

Cristina Dalla Valentina said...

Your animals portraits are fabolous, Ruth... but also this 15 strokes landscape painting is wonderful! I love the way you use the palette knife!

Theresa Paden said...

I love the way the colors blended and made other colors, especially the yellow and orange at the bottom. Is that a black horse running down a hill, stirring up dust behind him, or am I just reading that into it? Either way, I really like this fun painting!

Claudia Hammer a Painting a day said...

WOW! This is different! Very fun and colorful. I like it!

A Painter's Journal said...

I'm glad you had fun with this Ruth! Love your results too. - Robin

Jane Hunt said...

I can't tell you how much I love this piece - I saw it on Diana's blog and had to come right over!
I've been doing a lot of palette knife pieces recently too - it's so much fun! This is an inspiring piece though - deceptively simple!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I'm so glad we didn't all paint the same subject because this way we get to see more variety in what can be painted in only a few strokes.

I'm in awe of your landscape you painted in so few strokes!

Kim Vanlandingham said...

What a fun and interesting challenge!! Very nice