Monday, October 17, 2011

Fort Bragg - Plein Air Painting Trip


Last week I was painting with a group of painters in Fort Bragg, California .  The weather was perfect and we headed out each day to a different location.  I cannot tell you how beautiful the ocean is along the shoreline and cliff areas.  As you know I paint animals and spend a lot of time painting in my studio, but there is something about getting outside and painting from life.  The colors are intense and shadow areas have an array of colors and designs that you just cannot see in a photograph.  I also tried something new on this trip when my artist friend, Bruce Hancock, let me borrow a small palette knife.  I decided to experiment with the palette knife and when I did, it was truly fun working with the thick luscious paints.  I will be sharing a few more of the Fort Bragg paintings in this week's blog posts so check back for the art tour.  The trip to Fort Bragg made for, "A Painting Day".

"Harbor Inlet" 6x8 inches, oil on canvas ©2011 by Ruth Andre
On Hold for Show Review


5 comments:

Theresa Paden said...

Wow, Ruth, this is gorgeous! I can't wait to see the rest of the Fort Bragg paintings!

Manisha Vedpathak said...

Lovely!! Will be looking forward for other Fort Bragg paintings.

shirley fachilla said...

Luscious is right! Your colors are wonderful and the paint texture marvelous.

Virginia Floyd said...

Wonderful job on the water. I know the California water is cold, and you really captured that feeling. Love the texture and shadows in the cliff. Good job!

Nancy Franke said...

Ruth,

I am loving these free and simple paintings you are posting! Thanks for keeping in touch,