Wednesday, August 23, 2017

The Sun Is Out - Ruth Andre


"The Sun Is Out"
6.5"x6.5" Oil-Wax on Paper
by Ruth Andre

This painting was once white and blue with a hint of yellow. I thought it looked nice but it did  not jolt any strong feelings so I let it sit for a few days. Today after feeding our sweet mare, Hopi, I went to the studio to see what could  be changed for a stronger painting. It had been a safe painting and now it is a painting that makes me know it is alive. It has a pulse. I am laughing at myself a little but it is true. While living in Encinitas, California the ocean was out my front door. Every morning I would walk to the front windows and look out to see the ocean. The fog was often my sad reward but then as the morning went on I would call to my husband and say, The Sun Is Out. It was a glorious time living by the sea but short lived. We left sunny California to farm in the Mid-West for several years. My morning view changed from  ocean blues and greens to green and yellow wheat fields as the season changed. I must admit it was a cultural shock but one I soon grew to love. 
It has been, "A Painting Day".




No comments: