Monday, June 25, 2012

Fence Row Catalpas - Ruth Andre


While living on our farm in Missouri this was a scene I saw ever summer as I headed from the house to the barn. The Catalpa trees stood between our farm and our neighbor's farm. The neighbor grew cotton for several years and then switched to corn. The land was flat and the corn was a sea of green during the summer months. I had never seen a Catalpa tree when we move to our farm but grew to love them for their resiliency and their shade. Summers are hot in the Bootheel of Missouri and Catalpas were a welcome haven for a lunch break when working in the fields. Being a farmer's wife made for lots of memories and made for, "A Painting Day'.

"Fence Row Catalpas" 5x5 inches, oil on canvas by Ruth Andre

Ruth's Website
Contact Ruth

4 comments:

Gail said...

Wonderful image. I love the way you can paint the spirit of horses.

Anonymous said...

I love your catalpas! One of my favourite trees although I don't think there are any that aren't my favourite. lol
Stay inspired!

martinealison said...

Des arbres merveilleux...
On a vraiment envie d'aller faire une petite sieste sous eux...

Gros bisous à vous...

Connie Chadwell said...

Just lovely, Ruth - beautiful colors and brushstrokes. I love catalpas - you really did them proud with your painting!