Thursday, November 3, 2011

Plein Air Day


"Oak on Turner Road" 8x8 inches, oil on canvas © by Ruth Andre

Today was a plein air painting day.  I met up with Julie Trail in Amador City and we drove out to Turner Road and set up along the road side to paint.  The weather said possible showers so we took our chances since both Julie and myself are bound and determined to test our brushes and paint the landscape.  Painting outside forces you to paint quickly, mixing the paints instinctively as you go along. My painting spot offered many painting options but I chose this old oak changing colors with the fall season.   Julie was painting up the road from where I was standing and she shared her paintings with me as she packed up her gear.  The painting below is one of Julie's paintings.  You can find more of Julie's work at Gallery 10 in Sutter Creek, California.  Painting with Julie made for, "A Painting Day".


"Gnarly Oak" 8x10 inches 2011 © by Julie Trail 


7 comments:

Marie Theron said...

Ruth, I admire you for going out in spite of bad weather as I often look for excuses. This painting was different and I did not recognize your work. It is good to experiment and your method matched the theme well!

Carol Blackburn said...

Looks like a great place to sit and ponder, Ruth.

Susan said...

Beautiful...love it!

Bruce B. Hancock said...

Hi Ruth...
You're gettin' pretty good with that knife! Since I loaned you my little one in Mendocino, which led to a whole bunch of super palette knife paintings, do I get a 'creative consultant' share of the sales???
Great work Ruth! I hope I can join you and Julie one of these fall days.

May's Art said...

Ruth, I admire your painting with palet knife. I'd like to try it. Any recommdation on what to get on palet knife. Thanks.
May Mar

Ruth Andre said...

Thank-you for supporting my new palette knife painting venture. I truly am having fun. May I would just head for the art store and buy a variety of palette knives. I have been working on small pieces and am using smaller palette knives. Bruce let me borrow a small diamond shaped knife and I loved using it right away. Have fun. I would love to see what you paint.

Theresa Paden said...

Both of these pieces are wonderful!